Funded by London City Airport and delivered in partnership with the Royal Borough of Greenwich, Runway to Success is a new programme for Royal Greenwich secondary schools which aims to give young people aged 11-19 years old the best possible start to their future beyond school.
How it works
Runway to Success will support five schools in Royal Greenwich in the 2016-17 academic year, delivering a programme of events in schools supported by business volunteers to support over 600 students.
Runway to Success events will:
- Develop young people’s knowledge of the world of work and employer expectations
- Increase young people’s understanding of the pathway options available to them in education and employment
- Help them acquire soft skills and life skills for a successful future beyond school.
Events are replicated from our existing high quality and flagship programmes being delivered across Tower Hamlets including:
- Getting Ahead – Employability Conference: Students in Year 9 (13-14 years old) work through various activities, each one covering a key skill or employability concept. Skills and concepts covered include first impressions, employer expectations, team work, applying for a job, CVs and Application Forms, interview skills, and so on.
- Head to Head – Interview Programme: A practice interview programme for students in Year 10 (14-15 years old) or Year 12 (16-17 years old). Volunteers conduct individual mock interviews with pupils, giving constructive feedback after each interview.
- Start-up Challenge: An enterprise skills event for Year 8 students (12-13 years old) introducing and exploring the world of business in an interactive and engaging way.
How to volunteer
We welcome teams of volunteers as well as individuals from companies. Companies can either send volunteers along on an ad hoc basis or they can choose a particular conference to focus their volunteers on. It’s whatever suits the company.
No prior training is required. As these events are one-off activities, volunteers do not need to undergo a Disclosure & Barring Service check. There is no cost involved.
Volunteers need to bring nothing and to dress as they would for the office. Lunch will be provided for full day events.
To find out more about this programme please contact Rebecca Wood, Business Development Manager on [email protected] or 020 7655 0351.