Latest Pledge:7 placements Pledged by Bank of England
According to the British Chambers of Commerce, 76% of businesses say that lack of work experience is the reason why young people are unprepared for work. However, only 48% of businesses offer work experience, and within The City these placements are predominantly at SMEs.
In Tower Hamlets, one in four young people will be unemployed when they leave school. Currently 39% of children in the Borough are living in poverty, the highest level in the UK. There is entrenched inter-generational unemployment and a lack of access to opportunities in the thriving City and Canary Wharf economies.
Tower Hamlets Education Business Partnership (EBP) is inviting senior business leaders to join our 1000 Club which aims to redress this situation. The Club is seeking to secure at least 1000 work experience placements every year for Tower Hamlets students in prime City and Canary Wharf businesses. Currently less than 10% of our placements are provided by our corporate partners.
Key facts on hosting a student
- Most placements are for 14-16 year olds, although we have an increasing demand for placements for 16-18 year olds too.
- We require placements for one and two weeks, during school term times.
- Our dedicated staff and a detailed handbook will guide you through the process of setting up a placement, daily activities and longer projects for the student to undertake. This experience will also help develop management skills in your own junior staff.
- Supervisors at your organisation do not need any child protection training or certificates.
- No official work experience policy is required from the employer.
- Work experience is unpaid and employers are not obliged to cover travel or lunch costs.
Why Tower Hamlets EBP?
We have over 20 years of experience organising work experience placements in the Tower Hamlets, successfully placing over 3,000 students every year. Our dedicated team manages all aspects of the process from arranging placements, preparing students and completing paperwork; leaving you to enjoy the experience.
To join our 1000 Club and for more information, please contact:
Assistant Manager – Preparation for Work Team
Tel: 020 7655 0314
Email: [email protected]